From interviews to podcasts, to recording live concerts, rehearsals, field recordings, audio design, you name it: portable audio recorders have been a staple piece of equipment for men and women that want to produce good quality records to the fly. Mobile phone recordings simply will not cut it because the sound can be undependable and distorted especially during loud concerts or rehearsals.
Beyond easy advantage, each mobile recorder is constructed differently and also those who made it to the top list for this 2020 update signify the best on the marketplace. The equipment list sees the ongoing dominance of Zoom at the handheld digital recorder marketplace though new entries from Tascam and Sony round out the list at the lowest and highest cost, respectively.
- The Best Portable Digital Audio Recorder
- 1. Zoom H4n Pro 4-Track Portable Recorder
- 2. TASCAM DR-05 Portable Digital Recorder (Version 2)
- 3. Sony ICD-PX370 Mono Digital Voice Recorder with Built-in USB Voice Recorder
- 4. Tascam DR-60DMKII 4-Channel Portable Audio Recorder for DSLR
- 5. Zoom ZH1 H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder (Black)
- 6. Roland High-Resolution Handheld Audio Recorder, Black (R-07-BK)
- 7. EVISTR Digital Voice Recorder
- 8. Zoom H2n Stereo/Surround-Sound Portable Recorder
- 9. Roland R-07 High-Resolution Handheld Audio Recorder
- 10. Sony ICD-UX533BLK Digital Voice Recorder – Black
The Best Portable Digital Audio Recorder
1. Zoom H4n Pro 4-Track Portable Recorder
- THE ZOOM H4N PRO – Record cleaner, clearer, and closer than ever before. Brilliant Four-Track Audio Recording for Music, Film, Podcasting, and Beyond In Zoom they are constantly creating new ideas to enhance the performance and function of the Handy Recorders. With the new H4n Pro, Zoom has taken everything creators to adore about the H4n and introduced it to the next level.
- The H4n Pro is not only enhanced, but it is also superior in every way. With innovative X/Y microphones, amazingly natural-sounding preamps, along with a super-low noise floor, you can record everything in the Indy 500 to the fluttering of a hummingbird with exceptional realism.
2. TASCAM DR-05 Portable Digital Recorder (Version 2)
- TASCAM is a highly reliable name in the sound and voice recorder market. They’ve more than a few versions which are highly popular with consumers as well as the DR-o5 is absolutely one of them. DR-05 is a comparatively smaller and budget-friendly version that still provides great sound output (at regular 24 bit/96 kHz resolution).
- The recorder will automatically detect a peak sound and will keep on recording. The other is the Level Align Function that’s useful both when you’re recording meetings, interviews, etc. or during a band rehearsal with many instruments involved.
- Since volumes of distinct people and instruments vary, the playback of the recorded sound may often be noisome and lacking in clarity. On the other hand, the level align attribute minimizes this disruption by mechanically adjusting the audio volume for playback.
3. Sony ICD-PX370 Mono Digital Voice Recorder with Built-in USB Voice Recorder
- Easily record meetings, lectures and more in high-quality sound with this digital voice recorder featuring around 57 hours of battery life and a built in, direct USB connection for simple file transfer. Enjoy 4GB of built-in memory, Plus automobile voice recording which reduces background noise so you could always hear what is being said.
- This isn’t one of your pro versions, however, if you’re searching for fast and simple sound recording without too much of a fuss, this version is best. By way of instance, if you would like to record meetings, lectures, interviews, group rehearsal sessions, etc., for future reference, you can easily rely on this sound recorder.
4. Tascam DR-60DMKII 4-Channel Portable Audio Recorder for DSLR
- The Tascam DR-60DmkII 4-Channel Portable Recorder for DSLR is your new audio recording option for on-set filmmakers and videographers with DSLRs.
- The recorder uses high quality HDDA pre-amps, legendary AD converters, and a durable but lightweight construction and shape. This device will fit snuggly under any camera or into any rig and list up to 96kHz/24-bit premium excellent audio directly to SD/SDHC media.
- The DR-60D is unbelievably user friendly, using TASCAMs very popular user interface and external controls for every single significant operation. The various record modes comprise, 4-Channel Record, Auto Record and TASCAMs Double Record”Safety Track” Mode create the DR-60D among the most flexible recorders in the marketplace.
5. Zoom ZH1 H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder (Black)
- The ultra-compact H1 is little enough to be slipped into your pocket, yet it provides a big sound. It”s ideal for capturing song thoughts and documenting meetings and lectures –a whole lot quicker and simpler than just taking notes!
- The H1″s built-in X/Y mic provides two matched unidirectional microphones put at a 90-degree angle relative to one another. The X/Y technique gives a fantastic method to cover a broad area whilst still capturing sound resources in the center with definition and clarity, making it ideal for all sorts of live stereo recording.
- Alternatively, you can connect a pair of external microphones or line-level signal to the H1″s Mic/Line Input mini phone jack for other types of stereo recording.
6. Roland High-Resolution Handheld Audio Recorder, Black (R-07-BK)
- The R-07 packs mission-critical recording features into a stylish and ultra-portable device that goes anywhere life takes you. High-resolution sound, one-touch Scene memory, and Hybrid Limiting ensure great sounding records no matter what the circumstance. And wireless remote and listening controller means you can record with fewer wires in more places.
- The R-07 packs crucial recording features into a stylish and ultra-portable device that goes anywhere life takes you. Using Bluetooth remote control, you can put the R-07 from the prime recording place as you monitor and control it in your smartphone and Apple Watch.
- You can even listen to your records wirelessly. Preset recording templates, or Scene Memory, permit you to easily dial in optimal configurations for any circumstance.
7. EVISTR Digital Voice Recorder
- EVISTR L53 outfitted with sensitive mic, dedicated gain controller & sound processing unit. Let you like 1536KPBS flawless recording sound, catch voice that is clear, NEVER miss a significant word
- A very helpful present recorder for lectures, class, study, speech, meetings, interviews; A happy present for students, business man, instructor, teacher, podcast, anyone that want to keep memory or ideas, you’ll require this sound recorder.
8. Zoom H2n Stereo/Surround-Sound Portable Recorder
The Zoom H2n Handy Recorder has a number of excellent features which include Key Control, A-B Duplicate, File Dividing, Normalize, MP3 Post-Encode, Marker and Surround Mixer.
Uniquely, the Zoom H2n Handy recorder includes five built in microphones and four different recording modes: X/Y, Mid-Side, 2-channel encircle and 4-channel surround. This means that the device can handle just about anything from a live concert and rehearsal recording to place videography.
9. Roland R-07 High-Resolution Handheld Audio Recorder
- With this Roland R-07 High-Resolution Handheld Audio Recorder, you can record high-quality stereo data together with the built-in stereo microphone or external input. The gadget is powerful, metallic and attractive and so would look fantastic at the hands of any user.
- The system boasts Music-practice attributes that enable change of tempo without altering pitch, loop playback and such like. Another fantastic feature of this unit is that it is capable of onboard editing capabilities.
- The R-07 packs mission-critical recording features into a stylish and ultra-portable device that goes anywhere life takes you. High-resolution sound, one-touch Scene memory, and Hybrid Limiting ensure great sounding records no matter what the circumstance. And wireless remote and listening control mean you can record with less wires in more areas.
10. Sony ICD-UX533BLK Digital Voice Recorder – Black
- The voice recorder also includes the opportunity to install a microSD card for memory expansion. The SONY ICD PX333 Digital Voice Recorder can record mono MP3s and also boasts smart noise cutting technology to decrease interference.
- Together with the SONY ICD PX333 Digital Voice Recorder you can easily record voice data and what’s good about the recorder is that the recorder will start and stop recording automatically with your voice. Furthermore, this recorder can record up to 1000 hours of data, and this may be enlarged, as stated, as a result of the addition of a Micro SD card. As a result, you’ll never have to miss any voice data again.
Portable handheld recorders provide you the liberty to record anywhere. That is a powerful concept for any manufacturer’s workflow.
Whether you would like to record rehearsals, jot down ideas, or capture rare soundscapes in the natural environment, you will need the perfect field recorder to do it.
Use this list to get the perfect field recorder for your setup