- The Best MIDI Keyboard Controllers
- 1. Akai Professional MPK Mini MKII – 25 Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller With 8 Drum Pads, 8 Assignable Q-Link Knobs and Pro Software Suite Included
- 2. Alesis V61 | 61 Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller with 8 Backlit Pads, 4 Assignable Knobs and Buttons
- 3. Novation Launchkey 49 USB Keyboard Controller for Ableton Live, 49-Note MK2 Version
- 4. M-Audio Code 49 (Black) | USB MIDI Controller With 49-Key Velocity Sensitive Keybed, X/Y Pad, 16 Velocity Sensitive Trigger Pads
- 5. Arturia KeyLab 61 Essential | 61 Key MIDI Controller Keyboard
- 6. M-Audio Oxygen 25 IV | USB Keyboard and Pad MIDI Controller Featuring Pad/Velocity – Sensitive Keys
- 7. Korg Midi Controller (NANOKEY-ST)
- 8. Nektar Impact LX49+ Keyboard Controller
- 9. Alesis VI25 | 25-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller with 16 Pads, 16 Assignable Knobs, 48 Buttons and 5-Pin MIDI Out Plus Production Software Included
- 10. Arturia MiniLab MkII 25 Slim-Key Controller
- How To Choose The Best Midi Keyboard Controllers
A MIDI controller is a vital element in the current audio production. A piano melody here, a rhythm there… With the physical signature of a keyboard and also the freedom to personalize MIDI is an advantage for audio production. Receiving the very best MIDI controller with drum pads to your creative needs will probably require your DAW applications to new heights.
The Best MIDI Keyboard Controllers
1. Akai Professional MPK Mini MKII – 25 Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller With 8 Drum Pads, 8 Assignable Q-Link Knobs and Pro Software Suite Included
Proceed without losing control. Akai Professional’s MPK Mini MKII is an ultra-compact keyboard control developed for the traveling musician and also the desktop producer. Having a bunch of production-centric in-demand hardware controllers combined with a slim-line ultra-portable footprint, MPK Mini MKII enables you to record, compose and play with virtual tools, impact plugins along with DAWs whenever inspiration strikes.
MPK Mini MKII includes most of the crucial tools for fast turning down and enlarging upon your own musical thoughts. 25 velocity-sensitive synth-action keys, a four-way thumbstick for lively pitch and modulation manipulation, eight backlit velocity-sensitive MPC-style pads along with eight assignable Q-Link knobs offer the core functionality especially designed for quick production possible, all housed within an ultra-portable footprint.
No drivers needed, USB powered and ultra-portable design enables you to produce anywhere
Beat Maker Basics: 8 backlit velocity-sensitive MPC drum pads with Note Repeat & complete Level for programming drums, triggering samples and controlling virtual instrument / DAW controllers
2. Alesis V61 | 61 Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller with 8 Backlit Pads, 4 Assignable Knobs and Buttons
The Alesis V61 is a strong, intuitive MIDI control which allows you to take control of your computer’s music applications without giving up your capability for lively performances. With 61 full-size velocity-sensitive keys along with Octave Up/Down switches, you are able to enlarge the keyboard to the full melodic selection and play with bass lines, chords, and melodies.
Together with 61 full-size keys and 8 drum pads, then you are already well installed. Even the V61 adds to this pitch and modulation wheels, also four assignable knobs and switches to open and shut filters, and adjust volume levels, trigger impacts, tweak parameters, and much more.
The V61 Editor program provides a simple, visual approach to edit a variety of MIDI messages your keyboard’s controllers send for a PC. For much more control you’ll be able to adjust the speed curves of pads and keys to discover the sensitivity which best matches your playing style.
3. Novation Launchkey 49 USB Keyboard Controller for Ableton Live, 49-Note MK2 Version
Novation aren’t any strangers to drum pads in order expected they’re fairly great quality. The only criticism is they are a bit smaller compared to Akai’s MPC pads but it is not an enormous issue. That aside, the pads are more responsive and you will get 16 in order a lot without needing to switch banks, particularly for a little keyboard.
Above the pads are 8 fully assignable knobs and rounding off the features would be pitch bend and modulation wheels, transpose switches and master volume. Ableton Live Lite 9 is contained using all the Launchkey 49 and if you’re an Ableton user already then a Novation controller is most probably the thing to do for you. Even though the Launchkey works really nicely with other DAW’s, it had been purpose-built for Ableton and incorporates with it greater than every other control.
4. M-Audio Code 49 (Black) | USB MIDI Controller With 49-Key Velocity Sensitive Keybed, X/Y Pad, 16 Velocity Sensitive Trigger Pads
Craft the best beat in moments using CODE 49 (Black)’s 16 assignable RGB backlit speed-sensitive drum pads which conveniently indicate in a fast glance what function any specific pad is delegated to. The knobs, buttons and faders will also be colour-coded to signify what style they are in. An alphanumeric LED display offers informative feedback, such as on-screen display of settings and parameters. Everything adds up to no confusion, so no imagining, only precision command.
A fantastic performance requires the correct tools for your job. M-Audio’s CODE 49 (Black) features an all keybed with actions that’s precise and clean. The natural profile keys are both speed – and – pressure-sensitive, for optimum expressive capacity, enabling you to replicate every subtlety and nuance of your operation.
Additionally, the keyboards could be divided into four different assignable zones to maximize the versatility and performance of your installation (as an instance, activate four distinct tools within their different zone, or even overlap zones and activate two tools at precisely the same time).
5. Arturia KeyLab 61 Essential | 61 Key MIDI Controller Keyboard
Arturia KeyLab 61 Essential 61-Note USB MIDI Controller Keyboard with Extensive Hands-on Controls You’ll find couple more bothersome matters than when you would like to sit down and create music but find yourself sinking all of your time and effort in discovering inspirational noises or, even worse yet, having your system to function in any way.
Arturia’s KeyLab Essential 61 is a digital tool workstation that is great for averting precisely that type of difficulty by derailing you. Between the control’s top-notch keybed, comprehensive hands-free controllers, and overall integration with all the thousands of noises at Arturia’s Analog Laboratory two applications, KeyLab Crucial just plain functions. It is an awesome experience which allows you to choose your thoughts and turn them to new tracks right away.
This beautifully laid out control keyboard comprises all of the control you will need to take charge of your DAW, such as complete transport controllers. Actually, KeyLab Essential is a totally loaded universal MIDI control, so it is totally compatible with any third-party tools or alternative music-creation program.
6. M-Audio Oxygen 25 IV | USB Keyboard and Pad MIDI Controller Featuring Pad/Velocity – Sensitive Keys
Your performance needs the correct tools for your job. M-Audio’s Oxygen 25 features a synth-action keybed with an activity that’s flexible, precise and clean. The organic profile secrets are both speed – and – pressure-sensitive, for greatest expressive capacity, promising to repeat every subtlety and nuance of your operation.
Oxygen 25 supplies core jelqing tools to catch immersive, more expressive performances. With conveniently situated pitch-bend and Modulation wheels, then take control of your own virtual devices including portamento, vibrato or some other parameter mapped into the modulation wheel to get an unprecedented customized controller.
Craft the best beat in moments using Oxygen 25’s 8 assignable backlit speed-sensitive drum pads, ideal for catching each lifelike aspect of your operation. For expanded creative options, Oxygen 25’s pads are totally assignable providing the perfect platform for triggering loops, clips, virtual device sounds and a lot more.
7. Korg Midi Controller (NANOKEY-ST)
Even when you’re not the most skilled keyboardist, then the 25 velocity-sensitive keys let you step-record readily. The Scale Guide function illuminates the keys to reveal recommended notes from the scale, which makes it simpler to perform. The nanoKEY Studio also can link not only through USB but also wirelessly.
The nanoKEY Studio gives a computer keyboard, knobs, and trigger pads, along with signature pad which allows you convert your inspiration to audio. It’s battery-operated and will connect wirelessly into iPhone/iPad or even Mac/Windows. It is a compact, portable MIDI keyboard which is easy to go with, enabling ease of use everywhere.
It’s simple to link to an iPad/iPhone music app like KORG Gadget or even Apple GarageBand, or even for a Mac/Windows music generation program. Liberated from bothersome cables, you’re going to be free to establish your system a lot simpler than another product.
8. Nektar Impact LX49+ Keyboard Controller
The Effect LX49+ MIDI controller keyboard provides amazing control, features and options which make it enjoyable to make audio and simple to establish. It works with almost any computer audio application in addition to offering comprehensive smart control performance, not available on several superior solutions. With this tool you’re prepared to make music in seconds: Plug in the included MIDI cable and then allow your Windows, OSX or even iOS operating system deal with the rest.
The 8 pads are very good to perform. Dynamic and sensitive, and they’re ideally suited to finger drumming. Assign sounds or MIDI notes into the pads is fast and simple with Impact’s special”Pad Learn” feature: Activate, simply hit on a pad to choose, and then press a key on your keyboard to delegate the MIDI note. Done!
Effect LX49+ features 26 programmable real-time controllers: 9x 30mm faders, 9x MIDI switches and 8x potentiometers. Each controller is totally programmable to deliver specific MIDI messages and may be saved in any of these five user presets. That means it’s possible to control up to 5 distinct devices and change between them seamlessly, in addition to DAW integration. If you change”Null” on, some parameter values have been saved if you switch presets so that you stay away from parameter jumping.
9. Alesis VI25 | 25-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller with 16 Pads, 16 Assignable Knobs, 48 Buttons and 5-Pin MIDI Out Plus Production Software Included
16 velocity-sensitive RGB trigger pads permit you to start finger or clips drum with outstanding reply and vibrant visual responses. Additionally, pitch and modulation wheels extend the expressive abilities of your own performance.
VI25 additionally features 8 assignable knobs and 24 assignable buttons for manipulating impact plugins and virtual tools: open and shut filters, and adjust volume levels, trigger impacts, tweak parameters, and much more.
VI25 was developed to seamlessly and easily integrate with your audio computer software. A single USB connection to a Mac or PC supplies both electricity and MIDI performance, letting you plug directly into your pc and begin producing music.
10. Arturia MiniLab MkII 25 Slim-Key Controller
Minilab Mk II is a top-quality, feature-packed control that provides you hands-on accessibility to the sounds from your digital studio. Breathe new life into your sounds playing, tweaking, tapping and twisting its rocky controls. This effective controller also includes several critically acclaimed software titles which will have you producing professional documents right away.
Analog Lab Lite allows you to perform using countless mythical synth, piano, organ & string machine sounds. Ableton Live Lite enables you to record, organize, and nurture your musical ideas into a final product. UVI Grand is a diversion of this Steinway Model D piano.
MiniLab Mk II is a potent controller which will open a new universe of audio design, functionality, and audio production for you. Every part of this reinvented MiniLab was carefully selected to provide you with the very best experience possible. Beautifully playable miniature keys, responsive and durable performance pads, wiggle-free rotary knobs, and all wrapped up into a compact, ergonomic, robust design.
How To Choose The Best Midi Keyboard Controllers
- Size of Keyboard/Number of Keys: First and foremost functional consideration when you’re searching for a controller ought to rely upon the space which you have on your studio for this particular device. Ensure you’re cautious about it and do not end up buying something which may not match. You’ll discover various options such as streamlined ones with 25, 32, 37 or 49 keys. Whereas you may opt for several 61, 73 and 88 keys controls which are rather popular since they provide experience very similar to a real piano.
- Type of Keys: Lots of diverse kinds of keys are outfitted with various controls. It could have velocity sensitivity, after-touch, un-weighted, semi-weighted or even full-weighted keys. The one that you choose entirely depends on your own preference. Choice of the type of keys will affect touch, feel and react to keys out of your own hands. The majority of the high-end costly controllers could have each these characteristics combined to provide you with an impressive playability and sense activity using intimate simulation into an actual piano. It could though be hard to discover a blend of portability and fully weighted keys activity and thus the majority of the musicians could do nicely with semi-weighted keys controls to be able to add the advantage of texture in addition to portability attribute.
- Quality of Keyboard: Quality of keys and other controls are readily assessed by attempting your hands over it. As you examine a device, you’ll have the ability to realize whether the sense of the keyboard is excellent quality or can it be flimsy and inexpensive. When you attempt keys ought to be consistent when you push on them and they shouldn’t end up using a minor touch.
- MIDI Performance Pads: Again, this variable would depend on personal taste. A number of the song’s composers would favor triggering drum samples on keys whereas others might favor operation drum pads. Lots of the controls are available with 8, 12 or even 16 pads for example 3 to 4 banks. These performance pads work well for tracking down loops and beats for a music composition
- Quality Drivers: No musician wants to get a MIDI controller which can hinder and hinder his timings or applications. Thus it’s crucial to consider a controller using high quality and stable driver so you can enjoy complete stability using applications, connections and other related aspects.
In summary, there are real reasons for purchasing every MIDI controller on this listing. As always you must base your choice on which one matches your needs. Consider your financial plan, your workspace, and also what design you play. Do this until you remove any unsuitable keyboards then you need to be left with a more compact list to pick from. Hopefully, our very best MIDI controller with drum pads reviews will help you out and appreciate!